Friday, May 13, 2005

Good News! Pindelyboz has decided to publish my story, "Halfway Down The Hole," in an upcoming issue. This is a big moment for me, since this will be the first published story that isn't a fairytale retelling. It's also a very personal story, the only story I've written (so far) about the most tragic events in my life: the death of my stepfather and the subsequent alienation of the family I grew up with. When I wrote it, I didn't think it lived up to the massive amounts of emotion in that sort of situation. It's a very short piece, sketching out a bunch of emotions and past events in a simple context, and so I sat on it for awhile not sure if I would even try to publish it. Revisited it months later, reading it with fresh eyes, I thought, "hey, that's pretty good. It doesn't do justice to the whole experience, but then again, it doesn't try to." So, to sum up, I'm happy. Can't wait till the story comes out (though it may be awhile).

Also, I hereby offically retract any degoratory comments I may have said about Bloc Party's Silent Alarm. I see now that it is a fucking wonderful album, possibly the best of the year. Highly recommended.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you watch the last Enterprise?

elad said...

not yet. i'll watch it, but with minimum enthusiasm. this last season of Enterprise has actually been passably good, but that's only because Berman and Braga stepped back to let other people write and develop the show. With them writing the finale, it can only be bad.

I've been a fan of Star Trek for as long as I can remember. But I feel as if I've been in abusive relationship the last few years. They keep pumping out shit and I keep watching out for loyality. For my part, I'm glad the franchise is taking a long break. It needs a nap.

Christopher Barzak said...

Hey dude, congrats on another sale to Pindeldyboz!

elad said...

Thanks, Chris. I got a nice rejection from Twenty Epics last week, which sucks even more now that I know you'll be in it. One day, my friend, we'll share pages!

Dave said...

Congrats on the sale, Elad! Make sure to let us know when it goes up.

elad said...

Thanks, Dave! Will do.

Danya said...

Congratulations on the story getting published! Congratulations also on realizing how good the Bloc Party album is! It's been in heavy rotation for me the past three weeks and I still can't get enough. You're right - they're no Arcade Fire, but they don't need to be. The last few songs on the album especially kick ass. Great the whole way through! Thanks for linking to my blog, too!