Friday, February 20, 2004

I went out today in search of an ending. Literally, I took a walk and tried to figure out how to end a story.

I donned my jacket to fight the bright-but-threatening-rain San Fran weather, my headphones to block out those aspects of reality I hate (cars, other people) and journeyed into Golden Gate Park. Have you ever been there? It's gorgeous. Like something out of pre-Columbus-America. Acres of trees, huge trees, small trees, massive trees with branches that stretch and crisscross endlessly.

There's many streets in the park. Wide, crowded roads with cars and sidewalks and, worst of all, tourists. I used the main road for a little while (my NYC upbringing shouting in my head: "wherever you gotta be, be there in five minutes") and ended up in one of the bigger tourist centers in the park, the Museum Plaza. The California Academy of Sciences (basically: An Aquarium) facing the now-being-rebuilt DeYoung Art Museum. In between, a field of perfectly maintained trees, a beautiful water fountain, gushing and glistening, and a wide, bowl-shaped stage, for concerts. Nearby is the Japanese Tea Garden, the Shakespeare Garden, and the Conservatory of Flowers (recently reopen and beautiful).

I found my way to the Shakespeare Garden, as I usually do. It's a tiny, unassuming, little garden. Nothing like the huge Tea Garden (where you have to pay admission) and can wander around ponds, statues, and splendidly green trees for hours. The Bard's Garden has a nice entryway, red-brick pillars and an arching bronze sign leading into a brick path lined by trees and flowers, with an ancient sun-dial in the center. It's pretty, would be a nice place to get married. Further off is a small stage, a toy-stage. (Real "Shakespeare In The Park" performances take place at an amphitheater nearby.) Passages from some of Shakespeare's finest works are written on bronze plaques behind the stage. "Believe me, love, it was the nightingale." Some benches are scattered around. The Shakespeare Garden is a peaceful, meditative place. I love it.

On my walk home, this time through trails that snaked through the woods, directioness. I kept walking, following "promising" trails and found my way home easily (this time). Walking back through the woods, alone save the occasional passerby, I took off my headphones, listened to the birds, the wind, the distant carhorns and thought about endings.

BONUS! I found a few pictures on my harddrive I took during a similar walk in the park in the summer. Posted for your enjoyment here.

Album of the Day: The Radio Dept - Lesser Matters

No comments: