Saturday, December 31, 2005

Ending

Happy New Year everyone!

I've been feeling a little "blah" about this New Year and I wasn't exactly sure why. By all accounts, I should be celerbating. I've had one of those "grown up" years that other people around my age have. I got my first real job, car, girlfriend. You know, same old shit.

Then I listened to TV on the Radio's "Dry Drunk Emperor" (mp3 link) just now and was moved beyond reason. We still have a tyrant in power. We have a fumbling, moronic, corrupt, government that is incapable of handling anything (apparently). My blame for 9/11 has always gone squarely on Bush. He mishandles a war. Spends billions and kills thousands of civilians in a "Shock and Awe" bombing campaign against an army that was surrending before the war started. More recently, we've seen that he (and his people) cannot handle a major natural disaster. He's trying to convert the country to his whacked-out religion while completely ignoring real threats to our country like unchecked immigration, corporate monopolies, and class divisions.

All this makes me sad, uneasy, and a little afriad for the future. This is all crystalized beautifully by the lyrics to Dry Drunk Emperor. TVOTR has never shied away from criticizing the President but with this song, written in response to Hurricane Katrina and released for free to honor New Orleans, is a rallying cry if I ever heard one. "get him gone, get him gone, get him gone!!!and bring all his thieves to trial."

Lyrics and words by the band.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

say it! gonna check out the song...